When you buy something using links in our stories, we may earn a small commission. Read more about our policy.
Having a portable hammock stand is clutch if you want to enjoy your hammock anywhere trees are not. Or, if you’re looking for something a little more permanent—say, for your backyard—you may want to invest in a portable stand that gives you the option to take camping, to the park, wherever.
There are several different types, shapes, sizes, and price points. Given our extensive knowledge and history in hammocking, these are the best quality and most popular portable hammock stands. There are some stands that hold one hammock, two, or more. And, as you will see, some are more “portable” than others.
Why you need a portable hammock stand
- You can just about hang anywhere—parks, the beach, the desert, in line for the next iPhone to come out…
- Even if you’re going going hiking or camping in a well forested area, the trail or your specific campsite may lack the perfect trees to hang a hammock. Portable stands are easy to pack in the trunk to ensure you can hang wherever you are.
- Or worse, where you’re headed may ban or heavily restrict hanging hammocks from trees in certain areas or anywhere at all. We’re seeing more and more state and national parks start to crack down on hammocks as they’re becoming more popular, though hammock stands are totally fair game.
- To that end, portable hammock stands are also better for the environment in that they don’t damage trees. Most often, typical tree straps won’t damage trees either—if you’re hanging properly—but this is another nice bonus to having a stand-alone stand.
Things to consider in portable hammock stands
- Weight capacity. Depending on your hammock’s weight capacity, make sure the stand is built to support the same or more weight, especially if you have a double hammock and expect two people to use it at the same time.
- Actual weight. If you truly want something that’s easily portable, make sure it’s not too heavy to carry. Typically, the larger and heavier the stand is, the less likely you’ll be to want to move it or pack it on a camping trip.
- Carrying case. If you do plan to bring it on lots of adventures, does it come with a case to easily pack up? I wouldn’t say this is a dealbreaker, but it’s certainly a nice-to-have.
- Footprint size. Because hammock stands need a fair amount of ground space to setup, the footprint is something you’ll want to make note of. Some of these hammock stands are awesome but larger, thus may limit where you can use it. If footprint is a concern, check out these folding hammocks with stands. There are several that hardly use any space at all.
This stand by Eagles Nest Outfitters—one of the most popular hammock companies—is compatible with most gathered-end hammocks. It comes with a carrying case and packs down for easy transport. It’s made of lightweight aluminum alloy with easy shockcorded pole assembly. It can hold up to 300 lbs and weighs 15 lbs itself. It’s a great option if you want something lightweight that can be assembled quickly and packs down easily.
ENO makes several great portable hammock stands, including this other solo version with a different design. It takes up less space once it’s set up but weighs significantly more at 58 lbs. This hammock stand can hold up to 400 lbs, so it’s slightly more sturdy than the previous model.
Kammok Swiftlet Portable Hammock Stand
Kammok is another leading hammock brand, with awesome options for adults and kids. The bottom bar of their portable hammock stand is adjustable and can fit anywhere from kids’ size hammocks to extra long hammocks. The big difference between this one and the previous model is the weight. This stand is just 15 lbs, so it’s quite easy to carry from place to place.
This bad boy lets you hang three hammocks at once. It’s not something you will want to move around much, rather keep in your backyard or set up a campground or festival for the weekend. Assembly doesn’t take long or require tools, but the hammock stand weighs 101 lbs, so it’s a bit of a commitment to get it up and running, but boy will you be glad you did.
Kammok Weaver Community Hammock Stand
This geometric design holds up to eight hammocks and 16 people. The parts are interchangeable for easy assembly. It’s made of steel piping so it’s plenty durable. This is another great option as a more permanent hammock stand in the backyard or somewhere you will be for a few days to enjoy it.
ENO Roadie Hammock Stand
This single-hammock stand is designed to be used with your car. After setting up the two stands the correct distance apart, simply drive your car wheels over each base. The weight of the car is what provides the stability and security of hanging, and you still have room to sway since the poles are built at an angle.
This stand weighs 56 lbs and is rated to hold up to 400 lbs. It’s the cheapest option from ENO but only works if you have a car. It’d be perfect for car camping, road tripping, or even hanging in your driveway. It’s also a good option if you don’t have a lot of space to set up the other stands.
This one’s a little different. We own this hammock stand (as you saw in the first photo), which comes with the hammock, and bought it for a family member just because. It’s a great backyard or porch/patio hammock.
It’s durable and well made, and you won’t ever have to worry about flipping out of it. The only downside is how big, bulky, and heavy it is. We found that we didn’t want to lug it around so it ended up staying in the basement a lot of the time. That said, it’s a great semi-permanent stand if you’re looking for something for your home or yard.
The steel stand is sturdy and fairly easy to put together and take apart. It doesn’t require tools, but a little bit of brute strength definitely helps. And maybe some WD-40 after a while, but you don’t want it too loose that it slides too easily. You want the poles to fit together tightly, so it’s snug and you’re safe, but a splash of WD-40 from time to time will help slide them in and out.
The Vivere double cotton hammock is made with fabric that can stand up to the outside elements. It’s one of the most popular hammocks on Amazon in this category and for good reason. It comes in a variety of patterns.