There are so many great writers—many listed below—who have helped up put into words the pure magic of the outdoors. It’s not an easy thing to do. It’s about exploration and curiosity. It’s about surrendering to something bigger than you. It’s about living simply. And sometimes, it’s about survival and grit.
I use quotes every third photo on Instagram not just so my feed looks pretty (what? you didn’t notice?). I really love a good quote to help put life in perspective when I’ve become too focused on the small stuff or just the wrong stuff.
These quotes are just some of what I use to inspire me to keep exploring the outdoors and within, and I hope they do the same for you.
1. If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal. ~Paulo Coelho
2. No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man. ~Heraclitus
3. Leave the road, take the trails. ~Pythagore
4. In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
5. You must go on adventures to find out where you belong. ~Sue Fitzmaurice
6. All good things are wild and free. ~ Henry David Thoreau
7. Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures. ~Lovelle Drachman
8. Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire. ~ Jennifer Lee
9. Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show. ~ Unknown
10. Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. ~ John Muir
11. Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. ~Frank Lloyd Wright
12. We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~ David Brower
13. It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. ~ Edmund Hillary
14. The best views come after the hardest climbs. ~Unknown
15. If happiness is the goal—and it should be—then adventures should be a priority. ~ Richard Branson
16. Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost. ~ Erol Ozan
17. It’s okay to live a life others don’t understand. ~ Jenna Woginrich
18. Forest is for rest. ~ Unknown
19. Never have a plan; it’ll just get in your way. ~ Marty Rubin
20. There is beauty in simplicity. ~ Unknown
21. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
22. Go where you feel most alive. ~Unknown
23. And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. ~ John Muir
24. I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are. ~ Unknown
25. The earth has music for those who listen. ~ Shakespeare
Pin this post for later!
What’s your favorite quote about the outdoors or life in general? Leave it in the comments below.